Monday, May 18, 2009

Banana Nut Muffins

Here's some trivia about me that you may not know...I think bananas are disgusting. I think they smell gross, their texture is too squishy, and taste? I won't even go there. But I am the minority in my house, so I am happy to peel them for the girls and bake with them for the hubster. I now present to you...banana nut muffins! I apologize for the quality of some of these pictures...the lighting in my kitchen at night is not ideal for taking pictures, but that's when I got the motivation, so pardon some of the yellow-ness and blur you will see.

This recipe makes 12 jumbo muffins, probably 18 regular muffins, and approx. 2,375,888 mini muffins. ;)

Here's what you need:


Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder, Salt, Eggs, Milk, Vegetable Oil, Bananas, Walnuts


Start by adding 3.5 cups of flour (all-purpose), 2/3 cup of sugar, 4 teaspoons of baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt into a large bowl. Whisk and make a hole in the center.


In a smaller bowl, crack 2 eggs:


Measure 1 cup of milk (skim is fine - it's what we use)...


...and add it to the eggs


Then do the same with 1/2 cup vegetable oil:



And beat them all together!

Now, set that aside for a second and grab your bananas.

The easiest way I have found to mash up bananas is to squish them in the peel first.


Then peel them and squish them into a measuring cup using a fork, until you have about 1.5 cups, which was about 3 medium/large bananas.


Next, head over to your cutting board and roughly chop some walnuts:




Now, back to the bowls! Slowly pour the egg/milk/oil mixture into the flour mixture.


Then add your squished bananas:


I use the whisk again here and slowly whisk it all together, it will still be lumpy, which is OK.


This is about where I stop:



Next, you are going to add your roughly chopped walnuts and fold them in with a spatula.




Now, you are ready to scoop! I find the easiest way to get the batter into the muffin tins is to use an ice cream scoop. You can spray it with cooking spray to help ease the batter into the tins.


Use a heaping scoop to put in your muffin cups:





Then pop them in the oven (400 degrees) for about 15 minutes (this is for jumbo muffins).


They will be nice and brown on the top when they are done. I have no picture of the finished product (it was too dark when I finished baking them) so you will just have to make them yourself to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment