Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Broccoli Cheddar Soup (Vegetarian)


OK, so...vegetarian if you don't crumble a bunch of bacon on top. I couldn't resist! :-)

I made this yummy soup on Sunday when it was rainy and cold...warmed me right up! Not to mention it was super easy and fast, yet tasted like it had been simmered all day long.

Melt 6 Tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan


Throw in 1 pound frozen chopped broccoli; stir 5-6 minutes


Throw in 6 Tablespoons flour, stir to coat


Pour in 4 cups vegetable broth or stock


And 1 cup half and half plus one cup skim milk


Stir together with a pinch of salt, half teaspoon red pepper flakes and a teaspoon of worchestershire sauce


Let simmer (stir often) for about 20 minutes. It will thicken a bit. Then dump in 2.5 cups shredded cheese. Cheddar, Monterey Jack, whatever you like!


Stir until it melts (won't take long at all) and you are done!


Enjoy! I totally would have eaten this out of a bread bowl, but I couldn't find them at my grocery store! Humph!

No comments:

Post a Comment