Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving-palooza!

OK, as promised, here are 2 of my favorite Thanksgiving recipes. First up, Stuffing! I don't actually put this in the bird, but you most certainly can! Next, a very simple and yummy cranberry sauce. Repeat to yourself, "I do not need the canned stuff. I do NOT need the canned stuff."

FYI: T. = Tablespoon and t. = teaspoon

Thanksgiving Stuffing

12 cups of cubed white bread
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
6 T. butter
1 t. rubbed sage
1 t. dried thyme
1 t. salt
1/2 t. ground pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 pound cooked sausage, drained

In a 400 degree oven, toast bread cubes 5-7 minutes, or until barely golden

In a large skillet, melt butter and cook onion and celery over medium heat for 3 minutes or until softened. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add bread cubes, sausage, herbs, salt, pepper, and broth*. Toss well.

Transfer to a baking dish and bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes until heated through and a crust forms on top.

*This year, since my wonderful and sweet husband no longer eats meat, I will be substituting vegetable broth. I am positive it will not alter the taste, as I have substituted vegetable broth several times in other recipes and it has tasted wonderful. I will also be omitting the sausage for his serving, obviously. It'll still be yummy!


Cranberry Sauce

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 cups cranberries

In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.

Boil rapidly for 5 minutes, then add the cranberries. Return to boiling, then reduce heat.

Boil gently 3-4 minutes (skins will pop on the cranberries).

Remove from heat and serve warm or chilled.

See? Easy Peasy! Try it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before I go, I wanted to share that I will be trying a new recipe this year. For as long as I can remember, my Thanksgiving meal has consisted of the same things, and while they are all yummy, it was time to add another vegetable dish that my main squeeze can enjoy too! So, I am giving The Pioneer Woman's Fresh Corn with Wild Rice. Let me know what you think if you've had it or are trying it this year, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment